10 Questions to ask when dealing with contractors:
- Are you licensed in state, i.e. Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas?
- What is your contractor’s license number?
- How many years have you had your license (the lower the number the older the license)?
- Do you carry workers compensation and liability insurance?
- Can / will you issue me a Certification of Insurance?
- Do you have a list of references?
- Do you have a business license (What is the number)?
- Do you give a complete written bid with a lump sum price without extras or open-end prices for additional work?
- Do you give a written guarantee?
- Do you issue lien releases?
By asking the above questions and verifying the answers, you can help protect yourself from many problems.